- Vælkomin til Undirhúsið! Um tú hevur ein spurning um Wikipedia, og hvussu alt virkar, so set hann niðast á hesa síðuna. Síðan roynir onkur at svara honum. Hygg at Wikipedia OSS fyri heildarspurningar um Wikipedia. Tú ert vælkomin at skoyta tíni sjónarmið uppí ella byrja eitt nýtt innlegg.
- Welcome to the general discussion page! This is the place to ask any questions you may have about the Faroese Wikipedia. Any general discussions or anything of community interest is also appropriate here. Please sign your post, date your post and add new topics to the bottom of the page. Requests for the bot flag should be made on Wikipedia:Áheitan um bott støðu.
Request for comment on Commons: Should Wikimedia support MP4 video?[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
I apologize for this message being only in English. Please translate it if needed to help your community.
The Wikimedia Foundation's multimedia team seeks community guidance on a proposal to support the MP4 video format. This digital video standard is used widely around the world to record, edit and watch videos on mobile phones, desktop computers and home video devices. It is also known as H.264/MPEG-4 or AVC.
Supporting the MP4 format would make it much easier for our users to view and contribute video on Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects -- and video files could be offered in dual formats on our sites, so we could continue to support current open formats (WebM and Ogg Theora).
However, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format, and using a proprietary format would be a departure from our current practice of only supporting open formats on our sites -- even though the licenses appear to have acceptable legal terms, with only a small fee required.
We would appreciate your guidance on whether or not to support MP4. Our Request for Comments presents views both in favor and against MP4 support, based on opinions we’ve heard in our discussions with community and team members.
All users are welcome to participate, whether you are active on Commons, Wikipedia, other Wikimedia project -- or any site that uses content from our free media repository.
You are also welcome to join tomorrow's Office hours chat on IRC, this Thursday, January 16, at 19:00 UTC, if you would like to discuss this project with our team and other community members.
Universal Language Selector will be enabled by default again on this wiki by 21 February 2014[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
On January 21 2014 the MediaWiki extension Universal Language Selector (ULS) was disabled on this wiki. A new preference was added for logged-in users to turn on ULS. This was done to prevent slow loading of pages due to ULS webfonts, a behaviour that had been observed by the Wikimedia Technical Operations team on some wikis.
We are now ready to enable ULS again. The temporary preference to enable ULS will be removed. A new checkbox has been added to the Language Panel to enable/disable font delivery. This will be unchecked by default for this wiki, but can be selected at any time by the users to enable webfonts. This is an interim solution while we improve the feature of webfonts delivery.
Call for project ideas: funding is available for community experiments[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
Do you have an idea for a project that could improve your community? Individual Engagement Grants from the Wikimedia Foundation help support individuals and small teams to organize experiments for 6 months. You can get funding to try out your idea for online community organizing, outreach, tool-building, or research to help make Wikipedia better. In March, we’re looking for new project proposals.
Examples of past Individual Engagement Grant projects:
- Organizing social media for Chinese Wikipedia ($350 for materials)
- Improving gadgets for Visual Editor ($4500 for developers)
- Coordinating access to reliable sources for Wikipedians ($7500 for project management, consultants and materials)
- Building community and strategy for Wikisource (€10000 for organizing and travel)
Hope to have your participation,
--Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 28. feb 2014 kl. 19:44 (UTC)
Request for translation[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
- It should perhaps be noted that Rymchonak has been request-spammning quite a few editions of Wikipedia recently. - Tournesol (talk) 4. mar 2014 kl. 09:03 (UTC)
Catalan Culture Challenge[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
The Catalan-speaking world... Want to find out more? From March 16 to April 15 we will organise the Catalan Culture Challenge, a Wikipedia editing contest in which victory will go to those who start and improve the greatest number of articles about 50 key figures of Catalan culture. You can take part by creating or expanding articles on these people in your native language (or any other one you speak). It would be lovely to have you on board. :-)
We look forward to seeing you!
Changes to the default site typography coming soon[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
This week, the typography on Wikimedia sites will be updated for all readers and editors who use the default "Vector" skin. This change will involve new serif fonts for some headings, small tweaks to body content fonts, text size, text color, and spacing between elements. The schedule is:
- April 1st: non-Wikipedia projects will see this change live
- April 3rd: Wikipedias will see this change live
This change is very similar to the "Typography Update" Beta Feature that has been available on Wikimedia projects since November 2013. After several rounds of testing and with feedback from the community, this Beta Feature will be disabled and successful aspects enabled in the default site appearance. Users who are logged in may still choose to use another skin, or alter their personal CSS, if they prefer a different appearance. Local common CSS styles will also apply as normal, for issues with local styles and scripts that impact all users.
For more information:
IMPORTANT: Admin activity review[rætta | rætta wikitekst]
Hello. A new policy regarding the removal of "advanced rights" (administrator, bureaucrat, etc) was recently adopted by global community consensus (your community received a notice about the discussion). According to this policy, the stewards are reviewing administrators' activity on smaller wikis. To the best of our knowledge, your wiki does not have a formal process for removing "advanced rights" from inactive accounts. This means that the stewards will take care of this according to the new admin activity review here.
We have determined that the following users meet the inactivity criteria (no edits and no log actions for more than 2 years):
- Arne List (administrator)
- Girdi (administrator)
- Jogvanj (administrator)
- Rthomsen (administrator)
- Twincinema (administrator)
These users will receive a notification soon, asking them to start a community discussion if they want to retain some or all of their rights. If the users do not respond, then their advanced rights will be removed by the stewards.
However, if you as a community would like to create your own activity review process superseding the global one, want to make another decision about these inactive rights holders, or already have a policy that we missed, then please notify the stewards on Meta-Wiki so that we know not to proceed with the rights review on your wiki. Thanks, Rschen7754 1. apr 2014 kl. 00:41 (UTC)
- Hello, and thanks! We had a discussion about this subject in April/May 2013, the first half was in English and the second half of the discussion was in Faroese and other Nordic languages - but we did not reach any kind of consensus af far as I can see, it sems though that we agreed on that the rights of administrators which had not been active for at least two years should be asked if they had any interest in keeping the rights, but we did not take any actions in order to remove some of their rights, and only one administrator, who is also a bureaucrat, was asked and he also replied and then the discussion ended. No one of us who took part in the discussion wished to remove Quackor's rights as this user is active from time to time and was the most active the first years as far as I know, but the other administrators which you mention above should receive a notification, I agree with this. I think it is good if you can help us with this matter. Best regards EileenSanda (talk) 1. apr 2014 kl. 06:52 (UTC)